查看: 3991|回复: 0

Two Choices

[复制链接]
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2008-5-12 09:31 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Two Choices$ g0 g, W) M' ]1 r$ I
>
% A3 y" |& T; V$ A/ P7 w- o> What would you do?....you make the choice. Don't look for a punch line,% z5 n+ e/ \, v& K! s" I1 m
> there isn't one. Read it anyway. My question is: Would you have made the
  w- B. C. V2 h2 U5 u> same choice?+ O/ }$ p: ]: R8 Z0 L" G2 s
>
. J# m- @* G( l% Z> At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled children,
0 O* x# S& r2 q- ?0 }> the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be
5 f, W; B; b4 @! G. n> forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated
+ b- o+ p" A$ G> staff, he offered a question:
. `3 j$ h! s' Q# y8 v$ @. d>
5 T( ?. u. [- r$ E* V( U$ R> 'When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is
, [( n, |; x' l* j# W> done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other( F4 ]# r+ R# ~" c- U% c2 N- ~
> children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the
: Q3 b4 J: P' r" D> natural order of things in my son?'
: g) L7 O( D. c8 h' s>
4 }' [* }+ @* C$ E! D) y) O> The audience was stilled by the query.
6 [2 _3 O/ i, Z# z>( x: g% {$ V; x0 t7 @" Y+ ~8 C5 e( @$ {
> The father continued. 'I believe that when a child like Shay, physically% I$ u: x, f, e; G
> and mentally handicapped comes into the world, an opportunity to realize# u" u1 G* e% Q2 F, p; K& b' e0 ~
> true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other people% A* M- Y% K3 F. A, `
> treat that child.'
+ ~0 t" p/ x+ e9 K, l>6 _8 Z3 q  P, @, J; t: e+ w
> Then he told the following story:
+ m" m8 A  o  L' @" w+ ~0 o>
: b, A) W  H+ V, Y6 v+ m> Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were6 P1 l& e7 I0 {3 S- ~' f& j
> playing baseball. Shay asked, 'Do you think they'll let me play?' Shay's
0 U8 |# P. c7 v5 o( H' y3 k> father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their8 x; a- B" ]4 |# r/ Q
> team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play,' U4 D5 W! o) L# \2 u# M6 V
> it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be
" N/ J# ^! p; v" L> accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.
- ?: L5 U8 p9 W- T- Q>4 c. @, I& p4 k8 G
> Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not
5 s; z& t7 [9 v( u6 ?> expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and
) f- ?/ w0 F- p" W! I> said, 'We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I7 i6 K. v5 I* G2 b5 v* D
> guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth
# R3 `& P6 \. Q> inning.'0 h1 _' _# h  S
>7 _5 G% z, m$ i5 ]0 Z6 q
> Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a broad smile, put on a( K" D' a5 J. p7 P/ F) z4 W
> team shirt. His Father watched with a small tear in his eye and warmth in8 X+ ~4 T& J( \. S, D$ ^" F
> his heart. The boys saw the father's joy at his son being accepted. In the
3 _- B8 j- G, k5 W/ S> bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still0 W: i- C. o/ S( T, b
> behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and" |7 H0 _$ W$ G6 G0 U+ Z
> played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was
, D2 Y+ P* M/ _9 `> obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from  w" m. @( `2 K& P" `
> ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the9 X( h9 F" x; ~; z' c; F. k9 o
> ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases
& |8 _/ g( C7 ^) K> loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be$ l+ `- b! m$ Y
> next at bat.
1 _5 _+ l1 T. r0 x" Q>
) |+ P) m2 m+ M' X> At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the7 e& x/ r& l. A+ ~) Y
> game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat Everyone knew that a hit was all
- u2 |$ c$ k8 n> but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly,) B. }6 w8 Y; t) z, K( N
> much less connect with the ball.; a+ o& a7 q1 q9 p4 f/ K; r" o5 G9 u
> However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that the4 `7 U' J7 P; V2 O5 e& N
> other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life, moved3 k% j* N' W! q! X
> in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make
- [. ]& Z( Q5 f5 K> contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The
6 f: U# Q5 ?( l( F# l- C7 b> pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay.
- s: w3 t# I: S> As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball
/ z1 Y* t6 z+ V" I" @> right back to the pitcher.
- _4 k$ z& o/ A+ p7 C9 I>
; G' |7 s( G; _" ?5 T> The game would now be over. The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and+ r$ U" m/ N1 L7 E
> could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been
3 P1 H0 Z( l. e7 b> out and that would have been the end of the game./ E8 `% x! R* ?
>; ~+ N! Q- Z) o& ~3 v
> Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman's head, out
3 M! Y9 N/ E$ w6 f6 B: }$ t7 |. y> of reach of all team mates. Everyone from the stands and both teams started
- _: |( j$ v9 X3 ~> yelling, 'Shay, run to first! Run to first!' Never in his life had Shay ever, M" D2 E: u# c" f. X
> run that far, but he made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline,
) Q* O, E/ r% n' P5 I2 t> wide-eyed and startled.
( k. j; Y/ Z( b  B+ H  ], L; @' g6 |>
) e  q" M. y/ Y> Everyone yelled, 'Run to second, run to second!' Catching his breath, Shay
& b5 e  H! o) ~2 g2 }. W9 [' s> awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to the
' M* n: X7 N* b% J: F+ c> base. By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had7 e4 l" T2 ?) a1 m2 z# g3 h) i% f
> the ball ... The smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to9 e/ j7 b+ `6 J: d
> be the hero for his team. He could have thrown the ball to the
$ X: T% L$ c$ s> second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher's intention So he,
" |2 a8 @5 M/ Q- ]6 u& E# {+ _> too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's8 n% T8 f7 G- G+ O- [
> head. Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him
. Q) q! g* G$ I. N# _7 [> circled the bases toward home.
8 F5 q; D! Q& ^5 m>
) g3 a  `3 u& o- \> All were screaming, 'Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay'
& f: E  r( i: x/ M, D/ T5 i- }7 k>$ e$ E; G+ {0 F& v/ F9 W/ H. c/ B
> Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him by
# R0 U* ?- L# e2 ^* [% R> turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted, 'Run to third!
& R1 `8 V# A- v" k4 ~- G> Shay, run to third!'
; w4 D1 Z) o0 W) q>9 ]4 Q; D( _  u; Y/ L
> As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators, were on
/ B9 _, h1 L+ n& ^& H> their feet screaming, 'Shay, run home! Run home!' Shay ran to home, stepped+ ~. `: e( F/ S. n9 j) s5 b* P1 F6 u
> on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the grand slam and won the9 t; L$ B$ [8 H2 ?$ a8 W* V, }8 N
> game for his team.
( l% G8 p' v6 T' ?1 L. X3 }>
3 {* F6 E4 u2 k( I5 b8 @# A6 C> 'That day', said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face,1 X5 l/ a, M/ `- E1 j" _
> 'the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity
: P. `5 r2 ^$ w& B% F, a> into this world'.
6 E% c0 t* z$ H8 Z$ _( R- C, A! A>; W4 C/ D+ u" n+ a9 p
> Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having never
. T8 C( r7 v0 W! J  Z5 m; E> forgotten being the hero and making his father so happy, and coming home and& V  f/ G- c; v: c1 z5 f) U
> seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!
! h/ r$ M& S6 a" G" d5 t>
% I+ W8 E# k* ^> AND NOW A LITTLE FOOTNOTE TO THIS STORY: We all send thousands of jokes0 a+ p5 _3 D8 T3 p
> through the e-mail without a second thought, but when it comes to sending: r5 p* N3 E& V" T) w/ p
> messages about life choices, people hesitate. The crude, vulgar, and often
! }! X7 M! \: {0 n; m- h) C6 K> obscene pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion about decency  R! T" @; V! B8 ?, b1 {9 J. F/ l: O
> is too often suppressed in our schools and workplaces.
  N9 b, @. O, N  x) m>
( H# |( V9 y2 |! X1 R+ u& g> If you're thinking about forwarding this message, chances are that you're
8 Y( o5 J1 H& {1 N1 Y" I9 p> probably sorting out the people in your address book who aren't the! g2 f/ Y, W8 J( E; O
> 'appropriate' ones to receive this type of message. Well, the person who' M  x- P$ [: g, |2 i
> sent you this believes that we all can make a difference. We all have( T: `3 E- B3 F' M
> thousands of opportunities every single day to help realize the 'natural
. X% |; h7 A" U> order of things.' So many seemingly trivial interactions between two people% t/ W8 h7 Y8 C  q5 C
> present us with a choice: Do we pass along a little spark of love and1 ]4 D1 [5 [  x  ?  C0 I9 e. l
> humanity or do we pass up those opportunities and leave the world a little
: z  b% S* E1 n7 C! b> bit colder in the process?
0 a, g6 E5 Z. M' v>
5 A8 M' d' D  W" k/ S' e> A wise man once said every society is judged by
1 b0 S, P+ z/ Y> how it treats it's least fortunate amongst them.
) t  C" m- h0 b* p) d8 a6 ^>
5 ?% `8 K% t/ D7 d: ?> You now have two choices:7 ?% Q% Y3 C% h) l& X4 E1 F# w" Y
> 1. Delete
3 ~- ?* p% s9 M5 J> 2. Forward1 m# {+ ?: H; S7 _4 o
>  V& ?1 T( q# |5 q! h. u
> May your day, be a Shay Day.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-9-27 23:05 , Processed in 0.081923 second(s), 10 queries , Gzip On, APC On.