 鲜花( 7)  鸡蛋( 0)
|
Edmonton housing starts dip again
- e. U# a; a7 q' s2 g5 x- m$ H- D( j7 J $ J9 U: r0 i& ]' V
- t+ |; c- q1 S1 d" \/ q) iBy Bill Mah, edmontonjournal.comMarch 9, 2009 11:02 AMComments (2)
G% z5 M; @2 }2 @" V% I StoryPhotos ( 2 ) ; K* B: d2 E7 ?8 d: R
- }" ]. O! L( t. n8 U
More Images » A for sale sign is posted in front of a new homes in the Sunset Valley Estates on Ellerslie Road in Edmonton.Photograph by: Anne-Marie Jackson, Edmonton JournalEDMONTON – Housing starts fell again in the Edmonton region for February with no growth in activity foreseen until at least the summer, the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation said Monday.3 E6 _, a- W6 E0 l
( `4 k1 j$ ]* y" Z" `: TMultiple-unit starts led the decline with a near-86-per-cent drop from February of last year, according to preliminary CMHC figures. Multi-unit starts across the Capital Region totalled 64 units last month compared to 449 started in the same month a year ago.6 n) @6 u5 L/ b0 v
h) [- o* |* n“Developer unease over rising condo apartment inventories will cause multi-unit starts to be lower this year than last,” said Richard Goatcher, CMHC senior market analyst for Edmonton.
7 f1 ? b+ h) x0 T! t- L$ ]
. V; j% ?1 X& B) lIn the single-detached market, shovels went into the ground for 149 homes in February — a 39 per cent drop from the 243 units started a year ago.
& ], }* C4 r5 J4 G8 o4 P! i# M# |# M
/ [: [2 ?7 o) a/ CCMHC predicts single starts to remain slow throughout much of 2009. Building activity won’t pick up over the previous year’s pace until after mid-2009 — provided new house inventories head lower. Goatcher said it will likely take until 2010 for notable year-over-year increases in single starts.. v3 |" R" F% ?' u2 ^. O
; g; p7 o4 P! |/ u' dTotal housing starts in Alberta’s seven largest centres totalled 574 units in February, down from 1,867 a year ago, according to CMHC. Grande Prairie was the only city reporting a year-over-year increase in starts.3 t5 u u2 W, P7 ]
" y- `( \8 u3 s" Ebmah@thejournal.canwest.com |
|