Two Choices

[复制链接]
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2008-5-12 09:31 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Two Choices) F) _/ |9 J7 y( b
>. j) X1 ^2 j; E
> What would you do?....you make the choice. Don't look for a punch line,
0 f. t2 O, [2 L> there isn't one. Read it anyway. My question is: Would you have made the
: y$ {* E; w% n7 V6 L/ i( o> same choice?
0 n) z2 J5 P/ y>
/ R( E% O, T# s+ d, D> At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled children,( [: X% }; B! D* A! Z! V
> the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be
  N% a9 {1 A7 _& E> forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated7 y6 Z9 T! s  N$ i
> staff, he offered a question:* ]. Q4 h' r: K- P' v5 H5 t- i+ R
>
* |+ x8 i. M* z7 i: _8 z' w> 'When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is2 ]4 {: v! w5 |4 l- E9 }/ p
> done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other- D2 l( j, D) c7 c
> children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the. O: q' \# d  {! P
> natural order of things in my son?'
  v8 `! `  J6 C* k+ P" N! V7 o>; O2 w4 A7 ]6 D' I
> The audience was stilled by the query./ X- i0 v( W0 v$ v. q
>
8 V4 C1 [' y$ h: w5 y> The father continued. 'I believe that when a child like Shay, physically9 \( n5 }* K* G/ |
> and mentally handicapped comes into the world, an opportunity to realize) A% o7 r: l/ v+ F
> true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other people4 M; q+ Q" P' ~1 n$ r" M+ ^! [1 }. M
> treat that child.'
. ~' R4 o  }) ~3 \, B>8 X, w2 B3 @, T/ Q6 r
> Then he told the following story:7 N5 p  H) k8 M( m$ y7 R( c
>
, a1 A% Y" \( o+ y> Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were8 g& i7 V0 o+ G' X9 ~
> playing baseball. Shay asked, 'Do you think they'll let me play?' Shay's- G* i1 d! a1 g5 a- G
> father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their9 E, K8 A( y4 ]9 _" e
> team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play,
1 w5 p% I, q( j1 I, d0 H/ P> it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be1 d+ E2 x% G1 ]0 O
> accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.
2 D8 y; a1 y/ q: y>, b# Z! W( @+ b& X! X
> Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not+ u' @: I( }; _( [& Y
> expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and
2 @' q- C0 Q4 u> said, 'We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I" k1 i  o) Y* Z3 K; t+ I. ?
> guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth% Y4 S# M8 i) t9 l1 O
> inning.'% f5 e- o( _: @1 i+ h( N
>
* @# R& W$ c0 D) |& @( p+ O: E) p> Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a broad smile, put on a( e2 F& \/ v% W( K# S5 x: T/ t  _) q' q
> team shirt. His Father watched with a small tear in his eye and warmth in
% c; \. V  W$ W7 G- O% c/ Z7 e> his heart. The boys saw the father's joy at his son being accepted. In the
: v# Y8 C& I+ l# D9 y# p> bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still8 D7 n3 j3 U/ B9 j  ^; F) i
> behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and
2 b1 h# b4 c3 d1 D- N> played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was
8 I+ p, v3 X1 I1 C> obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from
$ ~8 P, a2 z, w, @5 b. j> ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the
6 Z1 k! [: R  Y1 E# T$ \& N" r* I> ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases- {5 e9 h# v: T
> loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be
+ f' M8 u, t  \> next at bat.
3 d. g* }, }) Q% i: Y4 m>
/ g, X( |! V5 V: R9 b% z0 N7 P> At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the( ]% _8 c' W* z9 ]: f
> game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat Everyone knew that a hit was all
7 s, f" X7 k" X' H; I; D8 [> but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly,
" `8 t7 D0 a5 v4 u6 G' ]> much less connect with the ball.* F% @( u% d0 R0 Q/ h
> However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that the) X9 W  _4 V4 I
> other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life, moved
3 r$ E2 I% \; K. c: Y> in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make
1 V0 z# a! z: i$ s) K1 V7 h8 g& ~> contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The
6 o1 t( v, Q! B& I' B> pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay." P/ J2 ~6 R# H* J
> As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball/ d9 c6 o0 g7 M0 X( _5 w
> right back to the pitcher.* L; l' H$ j9 q  Q9 J9 U
>
3 ?3 g; V1 k! H" Y: Q> The game would now be over. The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and: P6 _1 x( a. [; ?' V7 a
> could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been; |( H% u1 W& M4 t0 }3 J
> out and that would have been the end of the game.# ~% s, r8 I) H( _9 R- ]1 U
>
" h( @  w1 r  h0 A& u" `# x> Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman's head, out. Q# v) B5 m& h' L
> of reach of all team mates. Everyone from the stands and both teams started
4 o* f3 [; X. T- n/ T; Z> yelling, 'Shay, run to first! Run to first!' Never in his life had Shay ever3 U' [9 e* V! E% [, C! }; [
> run that far, but he made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline,
# i% s% ~/ H# o4 ?3 ?; [' x6 n  A; Q> wide-eyed and startled.3 T2 t$ {( O: }2 ~6 G  H
>; j; }. _2 `, U/ D7 @- i1 w2 p0 [
> Everyone yelled, 'Run to second, run to second!' Catching his breath, Shay& U5 d. F: j- t% {* E6 S- `& R# q5 A
> awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to the2 C  ~. [/ t' O( k
> base. By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had
2 N. }6 a& {& Q8 g9 b> the ball ... The smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to
  a- Z; F5 o" L! `$ _; C" y6 ]% r6 `> be the hero for his team. He could have thrown the ball to the
# S8 q7 p7 l3 `" V, |. j> second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher's intention So he,8 a- a2 [0 V' J  K
> too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's. G$ w9 c: \5 i9 L" \* c
> head. Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him( m+ n. e) `$ h; y
> circled the bases toward home.
' e, C$ m5 r% Y5 @0 Z/ ?3 c>
8 z% N% U+ d. Q4 S; ]5 g, o> All were screaming, 'Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay'
- F/ w) D- F4 c# m- E/ T>' i1 E" `- C) z/ y. h' k, y  P
> Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him by: Q* a. s% A3 g  R6 @* R
> turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted, 'Run to third!
1 a' F( W" j* U  {. [4 H+ @> Shay, run to third!'
% O( P9 t2 D* u  O/ h% j6 x$ ^0 C>( K3 `5 E- f5 C4 ~1 a
> As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators, were on- o' x# i/ y( x  w0 [5 m0 i
> their feet screaming, 'Shay, run home! Run home!' Shay ran to home, stepped
. W1 G. r1 o% p* \' V3 }" F> on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the grand slam and won the
: i2 J; S' O; ?7 j# W( U( u" U> game for his team.
$ L9 I3 t2 i0 \4 V  c1 J>
* {+ Z1 z$ x0 j# Y4 L> 'That day', said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face,
+ `8 g3 L. N6 g% z+ L> 'the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity
0 _" z/ o- n' [+ a' M( S  f8 I> into this world'.
4 m; z% f5 q, n% P>
2 P4 t* `- Q& s& k2 u0 }> Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having never7 O; U3 B5 y3 v; |# a
> forgotten being the hero and making his father so happy, and coming home and
  y/ P& _. C! f1 {7 W> seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!, N7 C! E0 `* o
>
. q8 O  H& C8 r5 P3 J" B! S> AND NOW A LITTLE FOOTNOTE TO THIS STORY: We all send thousands of jokes6 }, [; ~, \. G0 f* w/ p$ ]
> through the e-mail without a second thought, but when it comes to sending
) c/ U$ e) ^, T/ y* b> messages about life choices, people hesitate. The crude, vulgar, and often% u$ h, q2 i0 V- `; h, i
> obscene pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion about decency& M' m/ x8 K& R! n$ j
> is too often suppressed in our schools and workplaces.2 T# c% q) h6 v& _. d0 Q
>
! h* x, n% a; H2 @1 d% {> If you're thinking about forwarding this message, chances are that you're  ^) A9 M5 i) [1 b" f, B
> probably sorting out the people in your address book who aren't the
2 H' j' C  Q2 e- u> 'appropriate' ones to receive this type of message. Well, the person who; N4 @0 {. V+ B1 I6 m7 t
> sent you this believes that we all can make a difference. We all have6 s7 d( g* T8 M* _$ t
> thousands of opportunities every single day to help realize the 'natural) A# p1 F/ U% R  ]
> order of things.' So many seemingly trivial interactions between two people
4 x+ p5 G( r! N- y> present us with a choice: Do we pass along a little spark of love and
5 q  P9 m- M5 [* g+ z) P> humanity or do we pass up those opportunities and leave the world a little
" r* i9 @7 j$ S. o> bit colder in the process?
9 z4 U2 z* e4 k( c>
- D. `* o% \$ I1 o' i> A wise man once said every society is judged by
0 r% x1 F/ I* J> how it treats it's least fortunate amongst them.
& k* h/ j& y- Q5 b* F6 z>
) e2 }4 m& _' X9 N" O) h> You now have two choices:$ M0 ?5 q: n+ }' T$ K
> 1. Delete
& C" H# p# ^" n( c/ Q4 A7 }7 O> 2. Forward
4 P4 x$ f1 a+ o: v>
  {$ H9 w9 S) p5 R" y> May your day, be a Shay Day.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-9-28 01:21 , Processed in 0.134138 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, APC On.