找回密码
 注册
查看: 2070|回复: 10

a new tactic of learning english

[复制链接]
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2005-2-17 13:19 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
There are so many posting talking about improve english slkills, all are good and to the point. Here I want to entertain a new unconventional way.
- t9 y; V: E2 Q8 \4 }4 u4 ]& k/ U# J$ s4 j: F! Y7 ?
most of us as immigrant had very good education in English, My experience tells me that most of us have better knowledge about the English than majority of the Canadians. so why we are still suffering from the "lack of english skill"?
3 J( I  ?. y5 S3 p1 e6 P
7 }- J4 [. Z) m" q1 l4 |/ X  pThe root of the problem is we know english by reading it but not by listenning it. that's why we can read/write very good english (except myself, I am very poor on gramma :) ). but still can not communicate with others day in and day out. also that is why a lot of time we can't get what people are saying, so we have to ask them to write it down, only to find out we know every single word of it.
. B. S9 s# b9 n" k' ^8 P  NAnother problem is a lot of us is translating when we use english. when we read/write/listenning/speaking, we translate back to chinese then understand it. that practise dramatically slows down our comprehansen speed, showing as we can't catch other people's saying.
3 ?; h% K7 i$ ]8 R: i
; z! _  d% ^& Q0 Eso much for the problem, now the solution:
/ ~) Z: E: m' w* e  c6 g
) \8 K# r2 G6 o0 @2 D4 @' z5 lWatching TV, and watch it as much as possible!
3 {" N' B0 U( @* C2 ?9 zI suggest at least 8 hours a day. when we don't have TV around, we can also listen to radio. the key is to have english always in your ear, to train your ear be familiar with it and build the path between your ear to your brain.
% a% B: P. c0 {) D6 ]4 w
. s2 T( ]+ W1 W& e6 _- There are some theory behind it:
; v6 H" u' T9 F, `' z  Z$ Y
! b) n; l  X* w8 v3 xfirst of all, we have to ask ourselves, how children learn english? I believe most of us know children can learn english way faster than we do. why?
# `# V3 r: a' G: K: q$ l& W6 v3 i : p( h% w, f$ V  s: w: M
the reason is the way of learning is different.2 l2 E! Z1 L' H* C
$ R9 z' U% }$ q9 R; n
we, adult, learn english by remember some word, then when we encounter those word, we translate them back into chinese, then we understand it.
. B" r" z& k+ s" V( h0 i; b" yfor example, for word apple, we remember it as "a-p-p-l-e" and associate it with "ping guo", then remember it.  
: a" C/ w" p5 q& z$ i
; j; g6 N' f' {* l4 E! Hchildren learns in different way. children learn by remember a sound associate with a picture. the same example of apple, children will remember the sound of "apple" with a picture of apple. so next time when that child hear a sound "apple", he knows. that's why children can speak very well, but may not even know any single word in spelling.
6 `. F' W+ Z' L
! s0 U- B+ o2 y: Z5 RAdult's way of learning also brings in another problem: bad pronouncation. because we don't know what "a-p-p-l-e" should sund like, or we dont' care what it should sound like, so we "invent" the way we think it should be sound. therefore when we say it, others won't understand, and when others say it, we can't relate it back to the word "a-p-p-l-e", so we can't understand it.
. H/ ?& Z' m& |" [, M& {( ^& v, ~$ i: }0 X3 `- _/ t* Q8 Z
watching TV will make you build the direct connection between sound and picture, instead of sound->word->meaning.
0 _$ L% Z1 ^- p/ _: \. ~9 Aduring our day to day conversation, what make you understand other is the ability to capture the sound and translate it into picture in your head so you understand it. 1 n* f% K4 u) _$ i) |& e' T8 r( [
, I/ X3 }$ K6 H0 n3 l. }/ n8 ^
watching TV will give us sense of north america life. so when we engage in a conversation, we have the context of the topic. 1 r! i% @+ M  g9 A( p% _4 I2 h
- ~, j5 @/ Y9 l8 |7 K- w" L* R
another important factor for this tactic to success is to watch movie instead of news. ( L$ e: E& {2 E" E( |
1 y/ x7 K& s& l; c2 g/ L
movie sure have less talks which some may think not good, but it is exactly the reason why we should start with movie. movie has more action to keep us interested. news will just make us go to sleep.
6 \; M- [  ~3 W' ?) s% d1 F5 z5 u
movie will introduce a lot of different pictures in connection with the sound, news is just some one sitting there talking, unless you understand what he is saying, there is no use to watch it.7 K; l9 C6 P$ t* V& _

8 j9 K" z5 w7 p7 ^) A* nthe same reason also put watching tv a better learning tool than even find a canadian partner to praticse english with, because when you "talking" to your pal, it is the same as watching a news channel, or even worse, your canadian friend
6 m* X, e  Q2 w, I+ K, x( Hwill only use simple words so you can understand, to gives you false sense of success.
- S) }/ T" A& F6 _5 D- V+ G6 _( q
Above proactise have been very successful on my own, so I think it may shed some light to the others.
6 A. V  ~6 @+ Q* o
' j0 a" f  l- p# T" G. |happy learning!!
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2005-2-17 21:31 | 显示全部楼层
your spoken english 'sounds' really good, your points do make sense.
6 M, O" b: E0 ~! |- a; r# u3 S, isince I came to Canada, I have spent lots of time in the front of TV, I like watching sitcom most, Friends, Jerry Seinfield, Becker, Sex and the City,   King of Queens .... you name it, that really helped me learn not only the language itself but the culture, custom behind it.
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2005-2-17 22:01 | 显示全部楼层
but watching TV show can't resolve all the problem, understanding what is on the show is one thing, expressing yourself in a similar scenario is another thing, plus, no way to verify whether or not others can understand you.
  Y- ]  m7 x' ^* g) B+ a4 |: B9 \, J1 J* |
you'd better find a canadian chat-mate, pay attention to how she responds when you talk with her, if she doesn't have to concentrate on you in order to understand you, that indicates you are now speaking English, finally.
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2005-2-18 00:31 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
good job.
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2005-2-18 04:28 | 显示全部楼层
要想把英语说好,最好的办法是朗读。写东西的时候不要先想中文再译成英文,结果不会好。
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2005-2-18 07:41 | 显示全部楼层
Originally posted by edm at 2005-2-17 10:01 PM:
6 ?# V8 I* e, f( p. @; C9 Hbut watching TV show can't resolve all the problem, understanding what is on the show is one thing, expressing yourself in a similar scenario is another thing, plus, no way to verify whether or not ...
( P3 `$ s+ S; ]- E

; J  @% F2 y4 W3 J) W1 Kdo you know almost every single deaf can not speak as well? not because they can't make sound, it is becasue they don't know what sound to make.
$ ^0 z4 w; L8 A/ b, y0 l4 e$ x  z0 e1 f% Z  u6 R; E
so before you can speak, you have to be able to listen. :)
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2005-2-18 07:44 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Originally posted by 丘八 at 2005-2-18 04:28:
9 r9 n5 k4 T: B: a6 f  C; L+ h要想把英语说好,最好的办法是。写东西的时候不要先想中文再译成英文,结果不会好。

4 W* ^; w7 ?$ i& Q( l5 S
5 r# p) |: i: y* {4 h: K* e  e# \reading will definatly improve your writting skills, but have nothing to do with your oral english. becasue all your 朗读 could be the wrong pronunciation !!!! therefore the more you do, the deeper the hole you are digging youself into.
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2005-2-18 21:39 | 显示全部楼层
Originally posted by cgoca at 2005-2-18 07:41 AM:) }1 g; T; k) {- {5 E0 d
do you know almost every single deaf can not speak as well? not because they can't make sound, it is becasue they don't know what sound to make.
7 p- m' l3 d/ Y# G8 {% w: a% a
0 Q9 w5 e8 s8 [& }so before you can speak, you have to be able to l ...

7 u' N/ V0 V1 j. J8 Q& d* K2 L
0 B- C- B1 C6 R& Q" D( beven an illiterate in rural areas can understand almost everything on TV, radio without diffculty, but most likely he can't communicate effectively with other educated people, because he is not able to talk in the same way as educated people, he is not used to speak those decent words even if he has listened to them thousands of times., \7 p+ W* J4 S1 }- `5 h7 \& q
; [* [# B9 q5 v( u; T3 m# Q
all in all, watching tv show is only a start, the capability of listening doesn't automatically make you capable of speaking at all., Z' |+ B3 t+ x* \
) D; O: f5 q: q$ o
the best way is to talk with local people.
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2005-2-18 22:17 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Originally posted by cgoca at 2005-2-18 07:44 AM:
3 A! P: x$ b+ |3 j/ ureading will definatly improve your writting skills, but have nothing to do with your oral english. becasue all your 朗读 could be the wrong pronunciation !!!! therefore the more you do, the deeper ...
+ g. D# I% |4 A6 _- R  y

! K% t0 m# C/ j0 p" J) A6 Zyou are wrong about this point.. H; S* A* r' A8 r
4 m2 g" U2 ]3 ^, ~. f! {7 A7 ]. j
reading aloud or reciting selected materials has everything to do with improving spoken english, doing this constantly will help you gradually develop a habit in speaking the same way as the author does.
% m4 [- A! a0 D. J- s/ r  wthe great chance is you might pronounce incorrectly. that is why you need to find a chat-mate to verify and correct it.
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2005-2-22 07:57 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Originally posted by edm at 2005-2-18 21:39:
+ |. ^+ I, H' c! ]/ O5 feven an illiterate in rural areas can understand almost everything on TV, radio without diffculty, but most likely he can't communicate effectively with other educated people, because he is not abl ...
: p* _0 u3 ?  F+ ^- X8 ]
you are right, being literate is important of being a good communicator, or you can even say it has everything to do with being a good communicator. but for most of our new immigrant, it is not the problem of not literated, we are battling the challenge that not being able to understand others. during our over 10 years english education in china, we barely heard any english. Watch TV (and do it as much as possible daily) is just a way to catch that part up.
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2005-2-22 07:58 | 显示全部楼层
Originally posted by edm at 2005-2-18 22:17:$ A. g- w  T! y9 ~: V8 {
you are wrong about this point.. d: s2 `0 i" \# @4 s

1 I+ y' r& _! Z$ P1 e5 l/ R8 F9 greading aloud or reciting selected materials has everything to do with improving spoken english, doing this constantly will help you gradually develop a habit in  ...
+ [' Z% M% `$ E& l0 v/ D1 s8 r
a chat mate will be very good only if first he know how to teach english, second he can spend a lot of time with you.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-2 16:08 , Processed in 0.247621 second(s), 16 queries , Gzip On, APC On.