发表于 2006-10-18 10:29 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Rentals cheaper as mortgages climb, study finds
% d" k; _8 d1 O7 M3 G% T  OAffordability gap grows  
" i1 F" e6 v3 u0 Y& ~5 Y0 o& w; z9 @# u0 X* ]3 Z9 o- b4 o
Financial Post
  z) W6 A4 W. ^# SPublished: Wednesday, October 18, 2006
* M' o) z; z' @4 h! U& \
2 W" l+ s* `" k1 qWhy own a house when you can rent the same property for a lot less?& z' p2 @6 g- r) E4 b
' @1 g' r* R: m  a, I6 v" Q
A new study from Bank of Nova Scotia says the pendulum has swung back in favour of tenants.
3 @3 N9 |6 c( N% u( P) P: Z6 T- [2 X9 ~; m$ V4 H- g
"The affordability gap between renting and owning is at its highest level since 1990," said Adrienne Warren, senior economist with the bank.) E* U* \- _/ e0 O( z
/ T3 q! E: y+ n# T- B/ Z: A% F$ g6 t
The study found the average monthly mortgage payment in Canada in 2005 was $1,304 based on a $250,000 house with 10% down payment. That compares with an average rent of $731 for a typical two-bedroom apartment last year. That $573 gap is projected to climb to $800 in 2006.
0 Q' Q8 M" f% _  v$ n
! m- d$ L8 J0 R  W; {% h"This is a fairly typical pattern that you see in housing. As house prices move up, affordability becomes an issue for first-time buyers," said Ms. Warren, adding renting becomes a more viable option.' j8 w+ v; I0 x0 d& y! `

5 k6 Q1 \" ^8 N$ |' [The current gap between owning versus renting would be even wider if the Scotiabank report took into consideration home ownership issues such as taxes and general upkeep.( N1 F- R% L& u+ b5 A3 N) q

* H7 V! ?  N0 W/ ?- z, pMs. Warren predicts a slowdown in the housing market with a tighter rental market leading to increased rents. "We will see a levelling off of vacancy rates. I don't think we will see landlords offering the same incentives, like free rent for a month," she said.
" w: |4 S, f& E2 `1 T9 l1 p% s7 u  o* I2 l- D3 I: o% U1 g4 @
One problem with the national number is it masks major regional differences, she said. The gap between owning and renting varied wildly across the country from a $31 monthly premium in Winnipeg in 2005 to $1,220 in Vancouver.
) X0 G- \9 k7 h8 O
* {  [) t; z' m0 e0 m9 S8 ?: jGenerally though, the trend across the country is home ownership costs are rising faster than rental rates." ?2 c% h& G- D

" e3 I. g. r' @6 h% r. C9 l, ]Between 2000 and 2005, rental costs have increased nationwide at a 1.3% annual pace. During the same period, home ownership costs nationwide increased 2.7% annually.6 b/ C) v( l( ]& i
( D' D" d3 A* r4 b! S5 J
One side affect of declining affordability has been a slew of new mortgage products that have had the effect of lowering the monthly carrying costs of a loan. More and more consumers are buying products that allow them to pay off their mortgage based on a 35-year payment plan as opposed to a 25-year plan, which had been the norm for years.* }. a7 `) X! ?; |3 o' e, p
9 `; ~& u0 z$ m: `! g
Ms. Warren noted that the $1,304 monthly mortgage costs for a $250,000 home with a $25,000 down payment would go down to $1,073 per month under a 35-year plan.
3 ~7 k& u: E( L5 Y% Y& n" I0 D" W& W# Q8 U
Real estate author Don Campbell said there is no question renting has become a better deal for consumers over the last few years. "When interest rates come back down, the pendulum will swing back to the homeowner," he said.
- d" k1 N2 k8 Y: r" o. Q) G8 R+ H; d1 x4 O" Q! T! I
However, Mr. Campbell said apartments are affected by rent controls in many markets.
* J& S$ f; U, F$ u- `( s# L5 i1 s  _1 d, |/ C: B, u
"In markets in the West, where it is not as controlled, rental rates are starting to take off. A two-bedroom unit in a 1970 building in Fort McMurray is $1,500, and that's in the middle of nowhere. Even basic townhouses in Edmonton that rented for $800 last year are up over $1,000," he said.# s, _0 q8 S, n7 Z- A: N2 x
  @; x; J" f0 V# n

/ F6 V: S$ q1 Q& w* ~# G$ {% a. dDisclaimer: This is just published research data and do not express my position.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-16 13:39 , Processed in 0.060050 second(s), 10 queries , Gzip On, APC On.