[复制链接]
鲜花(5) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2006-10-18 10:29 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Rentals cheaper as mortgages climb, study finds( i5 Z" [' W; o4 P4 J* G
Affordability gap grows  
5 t6 g& E2 Q4 z! s
$ k# u% D$ }$ S, ^& A5 {7 }Financial Post
" _3 `9 P  t% @9 |Published: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 : G6 {. s- R6 Q9 G  B8 _  z4 l8 s

( F! ?; A0 x! ?0 U+ xWhy own a house when you can rent the same property for a lot less?. m7 H. J$ I- c4 @

6 B# i: F# Z. d, T$ h7 N- G- s' |A new study from Bank of Nova Scotia says the pendulum has swung back in favour of tenants.
+ s. Z  F, A" H* ]6 q1 V" _. w0 L! O, T
"The affordability gap between renting and owning is at its highest level since 1990," said Adrienne Warren, senior economist with the bank.& a+ d* A$ U( f. F
9 s( ^: }% t" h7 U6 s
The study found the average monthly mortgage payment in Canada in 2005 was $1,304 based on a $250,000 house with 10% down payment. That compares with an average rent of $731 for a typical two-bedroom apartment last year. That $573 gap is projected to climb to $800 in 2006.
$ v% Z3 }0 }2 ?* c2 g2 s
+ \3 u7 z! `! {  A' W9 C1 R$ x  ^"This is a fairly typical pattern that you see in housing. As house prices move up, affordability becomes an issue for first-time buyers," said Ms. Warren, adding renting becomes a more viable option.
( F* C2 e0 a8 W% _! q$ x" Q' S% p$ i5 Q. G. g
The current gap between owning versus renting would be even wider if the Scotiabank report took into consideration home ownership issues such as taxes and general upkeep.6 f0 D' B. d/ C, M, h( i& q" H
' `% Y, G/ S9 o; Q/ ]
Ms. Warren predicts a slowdown in the housing market with a tighter rental market leading to increased rents. "We will see a levelling off of vacancy rates. I don't think we will see landlords offering the same incentives, like free rent for a month," she said.* T8 y4 K3 W" y0 C* O

" b0 T+ g/ T9 j2 C  tOne problem with the national number is it masks major regional differences, she said. The gap between owning and renting varied wildly across the country from a $31 monthly premium in Winnipeg in 2005 to $1,220 in Vancouver." s  r# ~2 b( m2 ^! n1 E) g
/ w: d7 O2 U4 b4 ~" p1 {
Generally though, the trend across the country is home ownership costs are rising faster than rental rates.  |* d% Q. H2 Z  R2 z( x3 @; G, |- e7 q

' j  M% d9 R! h% ]. MBetween 2000 and 2005, rental costs have increased nationwide at a 1.3% annual pace. During the same period, home ownership costs nationwide increased 2.7% annually.( A: b4 _; p9 e+ m7 K4 a. @

) I5 [) U8 e! I/ L# oOne side affect of declining affordability has been a slew of new mortgage products that have had the effect of lowering the monthly carrying costs of a loan. More and more consumers are buying products that allow them to pay off their mortgage based on a 35-year payment plan as opposed to a 25-year plan, which had been the norm for years.
; ^: l5 }, ]4 o9 K! Z2 H0 b
; C/ y0 B6 x, Z( y0 O" u. d0 GMs. Warren noted that the $1,304 monthly mortgage costs for a $250,000 home with a $25,000 down payment would go down to $1,073 per month under a 35-year plan.
. v0 g4 J9 p4 T0 d2 O; d2 [, g, j; r
Real estate author Don Campbell said there is no question renting has become a better deal for consumers over the last few years. "When interest rates come back down, the pendulum will swing back to the homeowner," he said.: u# {4 h% z' w. f) ^
' Q& [: T" I. y' K% A, T7 n( Y. V
However, Mr. Campbell said apartments are affected by rent controls in many markets.- I1 G+ y$ O4 f' d

9 [+ s- J# I/ _- }"In markets in the West, where it is not as controlled, rental rates are starting to take off. A two-bedroom unit in a 1970 building in Fort McMurray is $1,500, and that's in the middle of nowhere. Even basic townhouses in Edmonton that rented for $800 last year are up over $1,000," he said.7 }, R, z5 D! Q

. V7 A+ u4 ~1 q( g9 g) J: S+ A# C1 V; K3 F/ ]( q
Disclaimer: This is just published research data and do not express my position.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-4-29 09:08 , Processed in 0.103269 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, APC On.