[复制链接]
鲜花(5) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2006-10-18 10:29 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Rentals cheaper as mortgages climb, study finds4 W# \4 r) q9 B. X0 m8 Q3 v2 L
Affordability gap grows  
1 D4 ^% v3 l4 w' L; c' u4 y8 \
7 U( ~0 W) x8 yFinancial Post
' H. p+ g8 ^; L& n' M8 H" [Published: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 # @* `  P6 B% [+ ^

0 f) F" X2 }- v& r2 fWhy own a house when you can rent the same property for a lot less?
* h+ @% U2 V! x! u* D: Z
. N  \5 q# P/ VA new study from Bank of Nova Scotia says the pendulum has swung back in favour of tenants.- l( Z/ N. W6 R2 J  l2 y

6 n, Z) {) Y( n$ K6 F"The affordability gap between renting and owning is at its highest level since 1990," said Adrienne Warren, senior economist with the bank.8 k8 c: O$ b1 v6 n2 z6 Z3 [; A0 {

& i1 K% I/ W- M/ I5 N6 ~1 CThe study found the average monthly mortgage payment in Canada in 2005 was $1,304 based on a $250,000 house with 10% down payment. That compares with an average rent of $731 for a typical two-bedroom apartment last year. That $573 gap is projected to climb to $800 in 2006.
& Q) m1 ^7 i. ~0 T3 y" I  b' L2 B7 x  x, \
"This is a fairly typical pattern that you see in housing. As house prices move up, affordability becomes an issue for first-time buyers," said Ms. Warren, adding renting becomes a more viable option.
2 f7 t5 m) r. H0 F1 n% |  Q% o
3 ]$ s6 G' ^/ y) H6 ]The current gap between owning versus renting would be even wider if the Scotiabank report took into consideration home ownership issues such as taxes and general upkeep., H; @3 y2 C1 |) K, b
" y4 z% D* m3 m$ `
Ms. Warren predicts a slowdown in the housing market with a tighter rental market leading to increased rents. "We will see a levelling off of vacancy rates. I don't think we will see landlords offering the same incentives, like free rent for a month," she said.9 B( I: z/ e# `% j

% A( j- L5 ^4 Z. H' AOne problem with the national number is it masks major regional differences, she said. The gap between owning and renting varied wildly across the country from a $31 monthly premium in Winnipeg in 2005 to $1,220 in Vancouver.
- t, r2 p& x; q6 T8 C% R1 D
0 A# P* i: [. }% K1 J( sGenerally though, the trend across the country is home ownership costs are rising faster than rental rates.( i, o! O6 e: d# i' G
  L9 ^5 W  K# Z. x. W2 t. I
Between 2000 and 2005, rental costs have increased nationwide at a 1.3% annual pace. During the same period, home ownership costs nationwide increased 2.7% annually.
% k/ ?' Y, U( Z
  D2 s6 u  `# EOne side affect of declining affordability has been a slew of new mortgage products that have had the effect of lowering the monthly carrying costs of a loan. More and more consumers are buying products that allow them to pay off their mortgage based on a 35-year payment plan as opposed to a 25-year plan, which had been the norm for years.
& ]" }, C" S8 b/ Q6 Z
7 \. {7 G. S7 J- J; `Ms. Warren noted that the $1,304 monthly mortgage costs for a $250,000 home with a $25,000 down payment would go down to $1,073 per month under a 35-year plan.6 A6 T: T8 V; u  u; |

" M& F+ c9 W2 m8 Z- E* H5 L- M7 rReal estate author Don Campbell said there is no question renting has become a better deal for consumers over the last few years. "When interest rates come back down, the pendulum will swing back to the homeowner," he said.8 Q0 x: A( `! K, c2 h

) f$ ]! w4 ~3 _) \0 ]However, Mr. Campbell said apartments are affected by rent controls in many markets.! I7 Z; K  \; m: _8 o

1 }( D- v) Y7 h6 l* Y3 k' h"In markets in the West, where it is not as controlled, rental rates are starting to take off. A two-bedroom unit in a 1970 building in Fort McMurray is $1,500, and that's in the middle of nowhere. Even basic townhouses in Edmonton that rented for $800 last year are up over $1,000," he said.
; _9 \! V# e# w( r: o, h
' F( f' t, G: n1 m! I
2 N7 M; V: j$ R1 ADisclaimer: This is just published research data and do not express my position.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-16 15:02 , Processed in 0.086384 second(s), 10 queries , Gzip On, APC On.